today football scores football scores at oddstake.com football livescore
Book Reviews

by pirates,
or thieves,
or nannies,
or someone.

Others say Nanny Zanny
coaxed deep, deep sleep
and the child left this world
in the dark trunk of a car,
while Mamma dirty danced
and lifted wine glasses
to her daughter’s beautiful life
on the other side.
They say she gave Caylee a heart sticker
for her journey then swaddled
her in duck tape and garbage bag
plastic, before laying her down
forever on a blanket of
composting leaves and moss.

Some say Grandma and Grandpa
knew nothing.

Some say Grandma and Grandpa
knew everything.

Some say Caylee’s Mamma
is mentally off  because Grandpa
showed her his and that’s
enough reason to excuse.

But all I know

is this sick, nagging,
gnawing feeling in my gut

for little Caylee Anthony.

19 Comments »

• Olshepherd says:

Well written. at the end of the poem i still cannot decide which is more to be lamented – no more Caylee’s captivating smile or the blatant lack of justice.

• Quasimofo says:

wow! Lots of hubbub here! I read these comments and would only have a few things to offer. I think many of us are still marveling at the ‘link magic’ that might bring in a sudden sleu of comments in short periods of time. It’s great. The more participation the better. I, too, miss some of the old commentors on this sight but time moves on and i’d encourage new blood whenever possible.

On the poem: I see this poem being first and foremost about Caylee Anthony and her tragic death. Her case brings into focus a broader subject of love for our children and begs the question–‘How could a mother possibly kill her own child?’ The rise and fall of the family in our society is another subject i think of. I don’t see this poem as being a ‘pop culture’ poem and i would hazard a guess that the author was not motivated to accuse ‘pop culture’ as the cause of this little girl’s death or to reproach the media (pop culture) for making a story out of it. The poem’s about a little girl–that’s it.

This being said, i think the connection to pop culture is interesting, nonetheless. When the editor mentioned the poem as being ‘pop culture’ i believe they were merely referencing the fact that the story came from our mass media which can be sensationalist. I’m sure many latched onto the story in a sadistic way in which they were intrigued by death so on and so forth…which yes, appeals to our darker senses, but i think many felt sympathy and it made them think.

I’m used to defending pop culture from the political standpoint as a secular expression as opposed to the religious right counterculture who speaks out so vehemently against its free sexuality and libertine qualities. So yes, i’m taken aback and confused when someone says in effect that the whole of pop culture is ‘ugly’. I think Pop Culture polices itself better than it has in the past because so many post-modern elements like anti-consumerists etc etc. have become enmeshed with the mainstream. There is certainly much ugliness in Pop Culture but there’s also much beauty–so expansive that you can take what you like and leave the rest. For every thesis in pop culture there’s a antithesis and a resulting synthesis–it represents a broad spectrum. I imagine that we get into a difference of opinions on our connotations or personal definitions when it comes to pop culture. Myself, when i hear pop culture i think film, tv, music, books, magazines and so forth but primarilly entertainment but when it comes to news i think ‘mass media’–perhaps they can be lumped. In any case, I think it was a good thing also for someone to come out and just speak their mind in the comments below even if Eau de Rant got his ass chewed, bless his pea-pickin’ heart. Roll with the punches. Sometimes that’s what we need to get the dialogue going. But yes, i wouldn’t discourage newbies either, and try to be nice when you can. Just a thought.

• April says:

I agree with the description of sad and strange! I find it unnervingly beautiful. I didn’t follow this case at all. Still, this haunted me as it also allows you to grieve for all lost children. Well done, Deborah.

• beemamma says:

Yes, April, I think we all feel haunted by the fact that there are monsters out there who do these types of evil things and we are helpless to recognize them–helpless to tell them apart from the normal before something unspeakable happens. That helplessness is compounded by a lack of justice which also haunts us, or so it should.

• Jonathan says:

Well done. You made the story real to me.

• beemamma says:

I think it makes it more real by being condensed into so few lines. We see the big picture in a little box which enables us to take in such a horrific happening.

• Amy says:

Haunting poem by a talented writer. Well done, Deborah.

• Pat says:

Marvelous poem. I’d like to hear more from this writer; her words touched me. She said what we were all thinking.

• dede says:

Great poem….what a heart-breaking case. No justice for Caylee

• Amanda says:

Awesome poem! Well written and I totally agree with you.

• sara says:

awesome! great poem, so sad that happened though. 🙁

• swmentor says:

Excellent poem! Touching and well written. Really makes you feel for this little girl, and feel anger toward the lack of justice in this case.

• cerebella says:

oh hell yeah this poem is awesome i love it. standing ovation.
    pop culture is a very very ugly word.

• Eau 'd Rant says:

Maybe it’s just misunderstood.

• cerebella says:

are you going to elaborate?

• cerebella says:

i used to know everyone on this site and observe insightful thinking. now barely any of the old people contribute and everyone just seems like a random person from the internet. i’m preparing to get self righteous for an internet debate with… eau ‘d Rant? seriously? like water of ranting? like you feel like pissing pretense all over poetry like it needs to be anymore and like the french don’t already have a rap with that already? see, now i’m agitated and all i have is long island rolled menthol cigarettes.

• beemamma says:

I agree that I would like Eau ‘d Rant to elaborate on the very interesting comment. Perhaps he/she does not see this poem as falling in the categorty of pop culture?

However, the comments that seem to come from “random people on the internet” seem to me to be good for poetry in general, not to mention this site specifically. The more people that appreciate poetry or begin to find an appreciation for poetry the better in my humble opinion. Let’s not intimidate newbies from expressing themselves–who knows what wonderful debates may be just around the corner from those who are new to this site. I’m just sayin’.

• beemamma says:

love to know why you think “pop culture is a very very ugly word.”

Doesn’t it have its place?

• We don’t see too many sad and strange pop-culture poems so that was enough to put this one out there and see what happens.

Leave a comment!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

UA-16070211-1